Friday, April 9, 2010

Rexers Reunion/Weekend!

It was so interesting last night at the Rexers Reunion at Skate World! Great learning experience for me. For those who don't know, rexing is continuous backwards skating in an hourglass pattern. The rexers were fabulous to watch, they just do it like it's nothing. I saw probably three falls the entire night - this was definitely a no amateurs night. The music was very different; it was this old timey organ kind of music they played back in the day. No before that, back in the day day.

My favorite part of the night was the spot rexing special. For some explanation of what it is, I took this excerpt from a website called tothegoodlife.info: Spot rexing is done individually in the center circle of the rink with a prescribed 36 steps. Basically they are skating backwards in a tight circle and it's completely impressive to watch. I would love to be able to spot rex one day, but it's pretty far off from what I do at the moment.

I found a video that shows some very nice rexing here. Imagine 20 or so people doing that around the oval, so fun to watch!

I did make a video of my skating progress recently, and I was going to post it but then my computer died. Waaa!! Hopefully I can post one soon. I am going to Skate World tonight for the evening session 7:00 - 11:00. Although it was a good time last night, it will be nice to skate to normal old school music and current pop. Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment